Pages

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

"Some kind of zombie"


Yesterday evening I had to make a trip to the nearest walk-in clinic. I have lost my voice for the third time in six weeks. The doctor said it is a viral infection. I just have to wait it out. Anyways, as I was sitting in the overstuffed waiting room, I looked around at all of the people sitting in their overused chairs staring aimlessly at the tv that was situated above my head. I couldn't help but picture how weird it would look if there was no tv there and all of these people were just staring at the wall. Their eyes were glazed over and their mouths were sort of open. The shows that were playing on "family channel" were anything but family friendly. Constant phrases that were being said by this cartoon for children included "shut-up you idiot", "you're such a geek", "if you weren't so stupid" and more and more insulting comments. The fact that adults and children were just sitting there watching the tube just because it was on was very alarming to me. I can't help but think that if there had been a program of talking shoe laces and racing soup ladles who spoke chinese, that everyone would still be staring aimlessly at it. They would rather spend their time filling their minds with hopelessness and negativity then something more educating and productive. I am curious why we have lowered our guard and our standards when it comes to what's acceptable in the entertainment field. Why have we said it's okay to watch two people kissing or more on screen, who are not married and who might even be married to other people? As far as I know that would be considered adultry! In church we may learn about that and how it's wrong, yet in the same sermon they will show a clip from a movie that COMPLETELY contradicts what we just learned and were reminded of. I am so sick of going to church on Sunday and being forced into this RELIGIOUS routine and expectations of what is acceptable and then once stepping out of church all of those standards and so on are left there in the building for another week. How are we to show people Jesus if we are not striving to be anything like him? Why would anyone want what I have if I am just like them? We have swung so far the other way in "evangelism" to "reach out", that we have made ourselves like them.

"I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified. John 17:14-19

We have lowered our core standards and beliefs and desensitize ourselves all in the name of "entertainment"! We often say, "this movie isn't intended for children" but we, followers of Christ, are CHILDREN of God. If a child shouldn't be watching it then should we? I understand there is a level of maturity and a different level of understanding and determining truth from fiction. Just think what we are filling our minds with. Is it pleasing to God? Would Jesus watch it or do it? We need to stop going with the flow, turn around, and go against the flow. Don't just do and think what every other "Christian" is, think and KNOW for yourself. Knowing from the word of God and not just what is being said and done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love harnett rants on entertainment.
"left behind is good acting"
so, other than watching veggie tales, what do we do?
joanne